Scuza mi for being a bit MIA over the past two weeks-- I recently got back from an AMAZING trip to California with my roommate, and have been struggling a bit to get back into the groove of DC life. Guess that's what California dreaming does to you, eh? I haven't traveled anywhere beyond the east coast in a couple of years, so this trip was surely due to spark some adventures and manifesting. And it surely did. As we explored new cities, we filled our bellies with lots of good food, treated our souls to some inspiring yoga classes, and engaged in heartfelt conversations and laughs during our long car rides up and down the coast.
You can for sure expect some blog posts in the near future with more details of these adventures ;) Hint: may include an interview with one awesome Yogi, and maybe, just maybe-- an RD and Yogi approved travel guide for staying in Venice.
For the mean time, I decided to post a California-inspired Kale salad (of course kale) for all you superfood salad lovers. Just about everywhere we went had some type of kale salad on the menu, which I'm sure had some influence on why I loved Venice so much. I chose to use Dinosaur, or Tuscan kale for this recipe as it was used most prevalently in all the salads I stuffed my belly with down there. This salad is the perfect light and refreshing salad for summer, as it includes notes of sweetness from the cranberries and carrots, along with an interesting infusion of licorice from the fennel.
To remind you all once again of the many benefits of adding this green to your diet: Kale contains Vitamin C, which is great for our immune system and cell metabolism, Vitamin A for healthy eyes and skin, calcium for strong bones, iron for energy and healthy red blood cells, and fiber to get things moving.
If you're not familiar with hemp seeds, they are really a handy-dandy item to keep in your fridge. With a slightly nutty and creamy texture, they blend well with pretty much anything. Sprinkle them on salads, oatmeal, nut butters, etc to give your dish an extra health kick. Hemp seeds are an excellent source of plant-based protein, containing all essential amino acids and are easily digested. Hemp seeds contain one of the highest vegetable sources of omega-3&6 fatty acids, and also contain fiber, magnesium, zinc, and iron. 1 serving (1.5 Tbsp) gets you 5g protein, straight up! And no need to fret, these buggers will not get you high as they don't contain any traceable amounts of THC.
Kale Hempseed Salad
1 head Dino kale (preferably organic)
1/2 C. shredded carrots
1/4 C. fennel, sliced
2-3 Tbsp hemp seeds
3 Tbsp dried cranberries
1/2 C. sliced almonts
For the dressing:
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 C. Olive oil + 1/2 tsp olive oil or coconut oil (for sautéing shallots)
1/4 C. shallots
Sea Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Begin to prep the salad dressing. Dice 1/4 C. shallots, place 1/2 tsp oil in pan and sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until they begin to turn brown. Remove from heat and set aside. Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, and shallots together in a small bowl.
- Wash and rinse the Dino kale. Chop leaves horizontally and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Peel and shred the carrots, then toss into bowl. Slice fennel bulb, and toss in as well.
- Add the hemp seeds, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds, then add dressing to mixture. Toss/massage together well until coated. You may add additional olive oil depending on your preference.
- CHOW DOWN! Or, store in container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.